Free Range Whole Chicken (approx. 2kg)
2 x Tbsp Tex Rub
Juice of 1 lime
4 x garlic cloves
Good Olive Oil or 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
Prep: 15 mins (plus marinating time)
Cook: 30 – 40 mins
Serves: 4 – 6
1) Chop the garlic, squeeze lime juice and mix all the ingredients in a large bowl together mixing into a paste.
2) Spatchcock the chicken:
3) Rub the marinade all over the skin on top and bottom of the chicken.
4) Leave to marinade for at least 30 mins (overnight for best results)
5) To cook on BBQ: once coals are white & hot, cook chicken for 5 mins on each side over direct heat.
6) Place on gentler heat on rack/other side of BBQ & turn regularly (approx. 10 mins per side)
7) Baste with water until cooked through – to check, cut between the thigh & breast: meat should be white and slightly firm, with juices running clear.
8) Remove from heat, carefully wrap in foil & leave to rest for 10 – 15 mins.
Serve with homemade wedges or a jacket potato, fresh creamy coleslaw, buttered corn on the cob, salad & lime!