1.5kg beef brisket (preferably from a local butcher)
2 Tbsp FreshMex Mex Rub
1 onion, sliced
1 bulb garlic, cut in half
1 tsp ancho chilli flakes
500g tomato passata
330ml bottle FreshMex Lime Lager
Salt & Pepper to taste
Good olive oil
To serve: Soft corn tortillas, sour cream, onion, juice of 1 lime, fresh coriander
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 3 – 4 hours
Serves: 4 – 6
1) Preheat your oven to 160c (fan) and put a large, non-stick pan over a medium-high heat.
2) Coat your brisket in 1 Tbsp’s of the Mex Rub
3) Sear it in 1 Tbsp oil in the hot pan until brown on all sides. Place in a large casserole dish and set aside.
4) Add the sliced onion and the garlic bulb to the same pan, reduce the heat slightly and cook for a few minutes until beginning to soften
5) Add 1 tsp ancho chilli flakes and 1 Tbsp Mex Rub.
Cook for a few more minutes until soft, adding a splash of water if it starts to stick.
6) Pour the onion/garlic mix into the casserole dish
7) Add the passata & Lime Lager.
8) Season to taste, then cook in the oven, uncovered, for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender.
9) Once tender, remove the meat from dish & shred it with two forks.
10) Add 250ml water to the casserole dish to loosen the sauce, then scrape the whole lot into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth, adding a little extra water if necessary.
11) Pass through a sieve into a large saucepan
12) Add the shredded brisket & mix over a low heat until the sauce evenly coats the meat.
Serve on warm corn tortillas with sour cream, a squeeze of lime and some fresh coriander.
More from Amy Glasgow & the Glasgow Diet here.