2 x large chicken legs (preferably free range & from a local butcher)
25g FreshMex Tex Rub (half packet)
Juice of half a lime
2 Tbsp of good olive oil
1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 65 – 70 mins
Grab an oven dish, two forks and you’re all set to create some shredded Tex chicken. This recipe will leave you with a good stock of chicken which can be used in the other recipes too!
1. Preheat the oven to 200c fan / gas mark 7.
2. Place the two chicken legs into a roasting tin (skin side up) and pour over the oil and dust over half of your measurement of the Tex Rub.
3. Massage in the oil and rub until the chicken is evenly coated on both sides. I recommend pulling back the chicken skin and getting the rub under there as well as on top of the skin to ensure max flavour.
4. Once the oven is preheated, place the tin on the top shelf and cook for 20 minutes.
5. After 20mins, remove the chicken form the oven and there should be a mix of chicken juice and rub at the base of the dish. Using tongs, move the chicken around the dish to take some of the liquid and flip the chicken so it’s skin side down to repeat the same action.
6. Place tin back in the oven for a further 20 minutes.
7. After the full 40 minutes of cooking time the chicken should be juicy and tender. Using two forks, pull apart the chicken removing all the meat from the bones. Once the bones are removed, continue to shred the chicken and after 5 minutes of shredding you should be left with a textured pile of chicken meat.
8.Squeeze in the juice of half a lime followed by a tablespoon of BBQ sauce, the rest of the Tex Rub and mix well. Return the chicken to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes just to reheat the chicken.
Once cooked, this chicken can be paired with most meals – from sandwiches to loaded nachos!
Discover more from the Food Hoover UK here.