250g Dry Pinto Beans
1 x large brown onion
3 x garlic cloves
1.5 x Tbsp Mex rub
1 x tsp tomato puree
Salt & pepper to taste
Good olive oil
2 x wedges of lime
Handful of fresh coriander
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 1 – 2 hours
1) Wash dried beans thoroughly under cold water
2) Place in a pot and cover with water by at least 2 – 3 inches and add a pinch of salt.
3) Bring to boil & turn heat down to simmer for 1 – 2 hours until the beans are very tender.
4) Remove from heat and leave to one side (keep the liquid as we may need this)
5) In a separate pan, add good amount of olive oil & fry down onion for 10 – 15 mins
6) When onion starts to soften, add garlic
7) As garlic begins to colour, add tomato puree and stir for 2 mins
8) Add Mex rub, turn heat down and stir for 1 min
9) Drain the beans (but try and keep some liquid) and add the beans to the pan.
10) Mash/mix until you are happy with the texture
11) If bean/onion mix is dry at all, add some of the liquid from the original bean pot.
12) Season to taste with salt, pepper & Mex Rub.
13) Add a squeeze of lime juice, fresh coriander on top & you’re done!
Serve on top of some warm Corn Tortilla Chips with Vegan/Non-vegan Cheese, fresh Salsa, Guac and a couple of Jalapenos!