280g firm (or extra firm) Tofu
2 x Tbsp Tex or Mex rub
2 x tsp Corn Flour
Juice of half a Lime
Good Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Skewers: 2 x Bell Peppers
Skewers: 1 x Red Onion
Skewers: 8 x Cherry Tomatoes
Skewers: Good Olive Oil
Skewers: Salt & Pepper to taste
8 x Bamboo Skewers
Prep: 20 mins (plus marinating time)
Cook: 25 – 30 mins
Serves: 3 – 4
1) Remove Tofu from pack & press out all liquid & pat as dry as possible
2) Cut into small cubes (just smaller than your cherry tomatoes)
3) In a bowl, mix a splash of olive oil with lime juice & the corn flour – mix/whisk until a smooth paste & no clumps.
4) Add the Tex/Mex rub, some salt and mix
5) Carefully toss the Tofu into the marinade until all pieces are covered.
6) Place to one side and allow to soak in mix for at least 30 minutes (overnight for best results)
7) Wash & prepare the vegetables, cutting into square pieces (as best you can!) to ensure they are all roughly the same size for an even cook.
8) Soak the bamboo skewers in water before assembling skewers.
9) Stick Tofu/Veg alternately in whatever order you like so that there is at least 2 pieces of tofu per skewer.
10) Heat grill so that it’s nice & hot
11) Grease the skewers with a touch of olive oil so that the veg won’t char too much.
12) Place under heat for at least 10 minutes before turning – allowing for an even cook on each side.
13) Cook for further 10 minutes and keep checking/turning until you’re happy that the veg is charred & tofu is golden brown and beginning to crisp up.
14) Remove from heat & season with pinch of salt & extra dusting of Tex/Mex rub
Add a touch of Vegan Cheese, BBQ Sauce or Hot Sauce, Fresh Coriander & Lime Juice to skewers & slide into a warm, soft pitta bread!